Auto Insurance Quote

Personal Auto Insurance
A basic auto insurance policy provides the following protection coverage for you and your vehicle:

1. Bodily Injury Liability
This coverage applies to injuries that you, the designated driver or policyholder, cause to someone else. You and family members listed on the policy are also covered when driving someone else’s car with their permission. This coverage applies for the limits chosen whether you are driving:

  • your own auto, pickup or van scheduled on the policy
  • a temporary borrowed auto, or
  • a rented auto

2. Property Damage Liability
This coverage pays for damage you (or someone driving the car with your permission) may cause to someone else’s property. Usually this means damage to someone else’s car, but it also includes damage to lamp posts, telephone poles, fences, buildings or other structures your car hit.

3. Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
If you, your family or any passengers in your auto are injured in an accident, your necessary medical, hospital, and funeral expenses are covered under Personal Injury Protection (PIP) subject to specified limits. PIP also pays a percentage of your income or your passengers’ incomes should you or your passengers be unable to work due to a covered injury.

4. Damage to Your Auto
States do not require that you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, but if you have a car loan, your lender may require you to carry it until your loan is paid off.

  • Collision
    This coverage pays the Actual Cash Value (ACV) for damage to your car resulting from a collision with another car or object, or as a result of flipping over. Even if you are at fault for the accident, your collision coverage will reimburse you for the costs of repairing your car, minus the deductible. If you’re not at fault, your insurance company may try to recover the amount they paid you from the other driver’s insurance company. If they are successful, you’ll also be reimbursed for the deductible.
  • Comprehensive
    This coverage reimburses you for loss due to theft or damage caused by something other than a collision with another car or object, such as fire, falling objects, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, flood, vandalism, riot, or contact with animals such as birds or deer. Comprehensive insurance will also reimburse you if your windshield is cracked or shattered.

5. Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
This coverage will reimburse you, a member of your family, or a designated driver if one of you is hit by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver. Underinsured motorist coverage comes into play when an at-fault driver has insufficient insurance to pay for your total loss. This coverage will also protect you if you are hit as a pedestrian.

Bodily Injury (BI):
If you or other passengers in your insured auto suffer injury or death from an uninsured or underinsured driver, your policy will pay, up to the limits shown for Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury, sums you are legally entitled to recover.

Property Damage (PD):
If your auto or other covered property is damaged by an uninsured or underinsured driver and requires repair or replacement, your policy will pay up to the limits shown for Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Property Damage.

Possible auto insurance premium discounts:

  • Account Discount (Auto & Homeowners coverage with same company)
  • Experience Discount (drivers with good driving records)
  • AAA Member Discount (active members of AAA Auto Club)
  • Mature Driver Discount (drivers age 55+)
  • Good Student Discount (youthful drivers in high school or college with a grade average of 3.0, B or better)
  • Multi-Car Discount (for drivers with two or more autos)
  • Vehicle Discounts (based on the features of your auto)
  • Preferred Customer Credit (new customers who have had continuous insurance for 3 years and good driving records)

Auto insurance F.A.Q.

Q: Do I have to buy auto insurance?
A: Almost every state requires you to have auto liability insurance before you can legally drive a car. All states, however, have financial responsibility laws. This means that either you must purchase a minimum amount of liability insurance or prove that you have set aside enough money to pay for the damage you may cause in an accident.

Q: Do I need insurance to rent a car?
A: Yes, when renting a car, you do need insurance. If you have adequate insurance on your own car, including collision and comprehensive, this may be enough.

Find out how much coverage you have on your own car. In most cases, the coverage and deductibles you have on your personal auto policy would apply to a rental car, providing it’s used for pleasure and not business. If you don’t have comprehensive and collision coverage on your own car, you will not be covered if your rental car is stolen or if it is damaged in an accident.

If you don’t have auto insurance, you can buy coverage at the car rental counter.

Rental agencies often offer the following coverage:

  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    This coverage relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. It may be void, however, if you cause an accident by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. If you have comprehensive and collision on your own car, you may not need to purchase this coverage. Purchasing the insurance the rental car agency offers may save you some headaches. If someone hits your rental car while you’re on vacation, some states require you to pay for ‘down time’ when the rental car is in the shop being repaired, unless you have purchased insurance from them. Also consider the size of the vehicle you’re renting. Most personal auto policies have a vehicle weight limit, so if you’re renting a moving truck or a significantly larger vehicle than the one you have insured, you may want to purchase the rental car insurance to be sure you’re covered.
  • Liability Insurance
    This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car. Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance required by your state. Generally, this does not offer enough protection in a serious accident. If you have adequate liability coverage on your car or an umbrella policy on your home/auto, you may consider forgoing this additional insurance.

Q: What if I lease a car?
A: If you lease a car, you will still need to buy your own auto insurance policy. The auto dealer or bank that is financing the car may require you to buy collision and comprehensive coverage. You’ll need to buy these coverages in addition to the others that may be mandatory in your state, such as auto liability insurance.

Q: Will my insurance cover a rental car after an accident?
A: Many drivers don’t think about their insurance coverage until after they have an accident and call their insurance company to file a claim to help pay for car repairs, a rental car, and other expenses.

Unfortunately, many insured drivers are surprised to find out that their auto insurance does not automatically cover the cost of a replacement rental car after an accident. Since the average car is in the repair shop for two weeks after an accident, it can cost as much as $500 to rent a replacement car. But, some insured drivers pay little or nothing to rent a car because of an inexpensive but often overlooked option known as rental reimbursement.

Rental reimbursement coverage is available for only $1 or $2 a month with almost every auto insurance policy, but it is bypassed frequently by those who believe they will not have a car accident or those shopping only for the lowest cost premium. The cost of a rental replacement car adds up fast, so even if you don’t have an accident for eight or nine years, the coverage pays for itself when you need it most.

Sometimes working out the details of a claim with the auto insurance company can take time. Even if the accident is the other driver’s fault, you may need to wait several days or longer to get the other insurance company to agree to pay for a rental car. With rental reimbursement coverage, there is no waiting.


Copyright © 2005-2014 English Insurance Group, LLC
5005 200th ST SW, Suite 200 B, Lynnwood, WA 98036
Phone: (425) 673-7948 Fax: (425) 673-7942

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Web site provides only a simplified description of coverages and is not a statement of contract. Coverage may not apply in all states. For complete details of coverages, conditions, limits and losses not covered, be sure to read the policy, including all endorsements, or prospectus, if applicable. Please feel free to contact us for further information.